Our Tutors at Focus Chemistry
Mr. Dion Khoo
Equipped with over two decades of knowledgeable experience, Dion, an expert Chemistry tutor in Singapore, has been invested in teaching students in Singapore and engaging Chemistry students worldwide via e-Tutoring.
His past and current engagement with schools like Hwa Chong Institution, Dunman High School, River Valley High School, and more, have led to his in-depth understanding of Chemistry and interactive techniques for effective teaching.
He is a coach and a mentor that strives to raise academic results and interest in Chemistry through multidisciplinary programmes and courses.
RESEARCH MONITORING PROGRAM
CHEMISTRY OLYMPIAD TRAINING
APPLIED SCIENCES WORKSHOPS
No matter the current level, he aims to help students achieve the highest grade possible in the national and/or international exams. His expertise as a Chemistry tutor in Singapore lies in simplifying complex concepts through simple and relatable analogies.
Dion also goes out of his way for his students in organising extra classes as needed to prepare them for tests and assessments. His personalised and student-centric approach in teaching helps develop a fresher and clearer perspective on seemingly complex principles in Chemistry.
Having taught Chemistry since 1992, Dion first started teaching briefly at Victoria Junior College then taught at Temasek Polytechnic in 2006 for 7 years before becoming a full-time tutor in 2013.
His knowledgeable and rich experience across different sciences in theory as well as practical research, experimental planning, technical report writing, and competition presentation has been relevant to IB Chemistry.
Being IBO trained enables Dion to better guide students in IA (Internal Assessment) and EE (Extended Essay).
His Past Experiences Also Include:
- Chairing youth research symposium in the Singapore International Water Week
- Services as judge in the Singapore Science and Engineering Fair and Singapore International Water Week Youth Research Poster competition
- Mentoring student research projects that won Gold medal in the Singapore Junior Water Week
- Mentoring student research projects that won Silver medal in the Sembcorp Green Wave Challenge and Singapore Science and Engineering Fair
- Collaborating with NUS and SMEs on research projects
- Conducting workshop for Applied Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) in translating scientific theories into working experiments at Tanjong Katong Secondary School, Dunman High School and Hwa Chong Institution (eg. Environmental Science, Material Science and Culinary science, Engineering)
- Overseeing training for the Singapore Junior Chemistry Olympiad for secondary school students by providing research mentoring in project scopes
Mr. Lim Daw Shyan
Mr Lim Daw Shyan graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical) and a Master of Engineering from the National University of Singapore. As a former MOE Teacher of H1 and H2 Chemistry for A Levels and an international school Chemistry teacher for the International A Level and IGCSE syllabus, his vast teaching experience makes him more than suitable to guide students in navigating the Chemistry exams across many syllabi. With more than 20 years of teaching experience, Mr Daw Shyan is skillful at honing the strengths and improving the weaknesses of his students at Focus Chemistry.
NUS, Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical) (1998)
NUS, Master of Engineering (2002)
20 years of teaching experience
MOE Teacher (Junior College H1/H2 Chemistry)
International Schools Chemistry Teacher (IGCSE/A Level)
PD Programme Leader / Trainer (for Cambridge International Certificate in Teaching and Learn)
Mr Daw Shyan is a highly experienced and dedicated Chemistry tutor, trained at the National Institute of Education (NIE), Singapore. Since 2006, he has been nurturing young minds, not only in Singapore (SAJC and ASRJC) but also in various international schools around the globe. His teaching experience spans across various international qualifications, ensuring a well-rounded understanding of different syllabi.
His Past Experiences Also Include:
- His students have consistently achieved excellent results in international assessments, a testament to his effective teaching methods and their hard work.k
- His commitment to student success goes beyond the classroom - he has been entrusted with the responsibility of conducting numerous teaching workshops for fellow educators. These workshops focus on innovative teaching methodologies and strategies to enhance student engagement and understanding.
- In addition, Mr Daw Shyan has designed professional development programs in teaching and learning. These programs aim to equip teachers with the necessary skills and knowledge to create a conducive and effective learning environment.
- Mr Daw Shyan’s goal is not just to teach Chemistry, but to instil a love for the subject and learning in general. He believes in making lessons engaging and relatable, using real-world examples to make complex concepts easier to understand. He provides personalised attention to each student, identifying their strengths and areas for improvement, and tailors his teaching approach accordingly.